Contact Info

Questions? Concerns? Invitations to high-society potluck dinners?
Email us at thesurvivalguidetoeverydaylife@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Famous Moments of "You Had to Be There."

As previously unveiled in an article last week, the phrase "You had to be there" is one of the most powerful conventions of storytelling, narrowly outperforming the dream sequence ending. Though I know that the point was made, it still left a bad taste in my mouth. I did teach you something of dire importance, as is the goal to all of these writings, but such a fascinating and ground shaking phrase deserves to be examined thoroughly. This is why this next article will aim to fully orientate you with the history of the phrase. Here are some examples, followed up by why the are considered some of the best uses of "UH2BT."

"So Charlie and I were in one of the dining halls. First class tickets entitled us to fully stocked bar in our room. I was not cognizant of the most of that trip and it really riles people up who want to know the story of such a tragedy. I'm cursed, I'm sure. Regardless, everything started shaking and my husband grabbed my arm to guide me to one of the life boats. So we're walking and Charlie stubbles on a carpet bag, and I say, "So that's where my lost luggage is." And then he said something... I can't remember, but it was pretty funny, and then I ended up stumbling on the bag, and we just sat there laughing. I guess you had to be there."

Mrs. Annie May Stengel, Titanic survivor, retelling her story in the April 23, 1937 issue of Look Magazine

Annie's use of "You had to be there" is to cover her from not remembering the night to remember. She uses this effectively by trying to take interest away from the Titanic sinking and more into a humorous story of her and her husband falling down. We still have no idea how she ever survived, but what do we know is that she is an expert storyteller! Right on, Annie! On to the next one!

"Lincoln was just going on and on about how much this play sucked. He often mimed hanging himself as something else he'd prefer than sit around and watch this trite little thing. When he was shot, I thought "man, he went all out." Booth, the killer and not the thing we were sitting in, jumped from the booth, the thing we were sitting in, not the killer, and yelled... something as he went out. I had no idea what it was, but I thought I heard Tyrannosaurus Rex. When the bodyguard came in, clueless as of what happened, he just asked "What?" I figured he didn't know what Booth said either! I laughed and laughed, and the bodyguard got it after I explained it to him a few hours later. He still didn't really fully understand. I guess you had to be there."

Mary Todd Lincoln, widow of president Lincoln, as documented in a personal journal.

Mary Todd uses the phrase in order to compensate for misunderstanding, one of the weakest ways you can use this almighty phrase. At least her embarrassment was only limited to her personal diary and not spread throughout America, until it's first publication in this history making blog entry. That's right. The Library of Congress can suck a big fat one. Let's read on!

"Dear mother, by the time you read this, you will have already have heard of a fire that has swept through Chicago. This is my informal confession that will explain my case if they ever find out that I was responsible for such mass destruction. It all started when I thought I heard something next to the shed, so Jim and I headed back there with a lantern in tow. Feeling confident in my abilities and in the lanterns durability, I start swinging the lantern above my head like I was a wild man from the Amazon. Evidentially, it was very funny, as Jim was full of giggles. And then I started laughing at the very notion of doing it, and then we both started to throw our heads back in laughter. Upon wiping the tears from my eyes, I realized that I had successfully torched three of the buildings that surrounded me. I tried explaining it to Gladys but she wasn't buying it, I suppose one would have to be there."

Jacob Walters, in a letter to his mother in Louisville, Kentucky.

Read this paragraph again. Notice how he hints toward the sacred phrase, but yet never really hits it. Biggest. Mistake. Ever. Scientifically, you need all five words in the correct order for it to work. Without that, it is nothing. You are nothing. And you will learn to live your life as a failure. While other people have saved themselves from embarrassment and scrutiny, Jacob Walters deserves at least a 50 year jail sentence. Instead, we blamed it on a cow.


God bless America.

No comments: